Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thoughts on Feeding My Child



Maybe I have "liked" too many mom's/parents pages on facebook or just being pregnant in general it seems like the breastfeeding debate is staring me in the face again. 

I nursed G till he was 14 months.  Honestly I would have probably continued because he really did like it, but there was this amazing once in a lifetime vacation to Panama that my husband earned that couldn't be missed.  I bet that sounds super selfish to the extreme natural moms out there.  But truth is 14 months was more than a lot of babies get and really most of his true nutrition was coming from food at that point and he was drinking organic whole milk too and lots of it.  It was clear that at that point it was for comfort and familiarity only.

Making the choice to stop nursing was bittersweet.  I never imagined how much I would miss that comforting that nursing gave, not just for him, but for me once I was done.  But everything must come to and end at some point

Nursing was neither easy nor hard for me, but it was meant to be.  It was an easy choice, I guess is what I mean.  That doesn't mean that sometimes I questioned myself, but I just continued on because it really did work for us as a family.  There was still that guilt at times that every thing I consumed or did would not go over well with my supply or the taste or might not even be particularly healthy.  Breastfeeding is a sacrifice.  Yes, a sacrifice!  I said it.  It takes work.  The same considerations you make for the 40 weeks of pregnancy have to continue regarding food anyway.  Working out was hard.  It hurt.  It required 2 sports bras.  I constantly stressed about my supply and was he getting enough.  G ate a lot and often.  He ate every 2 hours like clockwork.  There was another mom at G's daycare who was a pediatrician who made the comment to G's teacher that she would hate it if her baby had to eat that often and thats why she only did every 3 hours regardless.  OH my!!!  Between her (and her we do what is easiest for mom crap) and the 1st pediatrician (horrid, all facts, no personality) we met in the hospital, I am so grateful for the pediatrician we found for G.  She LOVES children and supports our decisions.  So, as for nursing, I did on demand.  Yes, that meant stopping everything I was doing if he needed to eat and it meant that one long 4 hour session when he was 3 weeks old and going through a growth spurt, but who was I to tell him no at such a young age?

So why breastfeed?
*that incredible bond/the mommy high you get.  I'm not saying you can't get that from holding your baby close while you bottle feed, but it is just a different experience.  I really cannot even put it in to words. 
*it is calming for you and the baby in such an uncalm world.
*it is perfect nutrition
*you don't have to try and figure out which brand or recipe of formula will work with your baby best
*no bottles to clean.  I personally love this one, because dishes are no fun and it hurts my back to stand over the sink. 
*your baby's next meal is always with you.  Perfect considering I was awful at remembering the diaper bag the first 20 or so times we left the house.  Don't judge!  I remembered the most important part...the baby!
*no worry about wasting anything.  I know you are thinking who complains about that, but I have heard the complaint from more than one formula feeding mom. 
*not having to go to the kitchen to fix bottles in the middle of the night.  Just swoop the crying baby from wherever they are sleeping and you are ready to go.
*my monthly visitor (aka period) did not return until G was 13 months.  Does not work for everyone, but it was a nice reprieve while taking care of my first baby.

Want to read what others are saying or find help?  go here, here, and here.

Need a few silly reasons not to breastfeed?
*lopsided boobs.  Yep, G loved the left one, hated the right one so I was left with a very hard to hide symmetry problem for the 14 months I nursed.  It goes away though once you stop nursing so technically this is only a wardrobe nightmare for a very short time in your life.  I'm sure if I had started pumping the right side from the first week it would not have been as noticeable but no one shared that tip with me. 
*If you work, you will most likely have to pump.  I'm not going to sugar coat it.  Pumping is not that fun.  It is time consuming.  It can be stressful.  No matter how short on milk I thought I would be, it was always enough for G the next day.  Miracles happen every day!

Bottom line...be informed.  Do your research and then just try it before you make any firm decisions.  I guarantee you that your hospital has a breastfeeding class.  Take it.  I did and learned a lot.  Have a friend that has done it before be on call to help you.  Keep your lactation consultant's phone number in your phone.  They will answer any question you have.  Then relax.  Having anxiety about it will make it hard for you and the baby.  Finally, good luck in whatever decision you make.  No matter what the decision as long as you have done the research you are surely doing the right thing for you and your baby.

***Note about the picture.  I was nursing, pumping and reading.  Multitasking!


No comments:

Post a Comment