Sunday, June 30, 2013

Staying Fit While Pregnant

You have waited forever it seems to get pregnant so you can lay around, be waited on, not have to exercise or eat healthy.  Sound familiar?  No such luck.  Good health needs to be maintained or needs to become a priority now.  You are growing another human.  If you need exercise and healthy food while not pregnant you will need it even more now. 

So, earlier this year I started begging for a Fitbit One.  Finally got one and then there was some drama with a missing charger that took forever to get because Fitbit was a million years behind on making them.  (Makes no sense if you have seen the charger, it is all of 6 inches long and plugs into your computer....how long could they possibly take to produce?)  Anyway, finally it arrived while we were on vacation.  I have now been wearing it for about 10 days.  I am in love!  Why start using it now while pregnant?  If you don't have the energy in the early weeks to do all out cardio or long sessions, this gadget tracks your steps so you can work at getting more and more steps in each day.  Plus walking is low impact, yet quite helpful for pregnant women.  See my note below regarding GD. It also tracks flights of stairs, calories burned and miles walked.  It also tracks your sleep and tells you how many times you woke up.  Interesting to know, but considering I have slept horribly since I found out I was pregnant, it is really just sad to know you woke up 30 times in one night.  All in all, it is small, clips easily on your bra, your pants pockets, or it can go straight into your pocket and a fun tool to get more activity into each day. 

*Here's an interesting article on walking after meals while pregnant and how it lowers your changes of getting Gestational Diabetes.   Walk away diabetes  You want to avoid GD at all costs. 

I am also using weights and strength training.  The fitness center at my work has group classes each day.  The Thursday lunch class is a strength and tone class.  It is fast paced so you get the cardio effect while getting most body parts. 

This morning I started Leslie Sansone's 3 Mega Mile walk DVD.  Who knew walking in your living room would make you sweat.  It's a keeper for pregos. 

I am gathering some information on Pinterest regarding healthy pregnancy workouts.  Check it out here:  Fit Pregnancy

I am logging my workouts each week on My Fitness Journey if you need ideas of circuits and workouts to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment